Saturday, October 3, 2009

No FF so a Saturday PAST GLORIES instead

Once again I haven't been anywhere near the sewing machine during the past week and since I have been doing early starts too I haven't got any hand sewing done either.
So I am sharing another PAST GLORY with you all.
This really bad photo is of a series of quilts I called LAPTOP GARDENS (1, 2, & 3)
I made them for my sisters-in-law, way back in the beginning. 1994 or 1995.
The the pink border one on the left was the first one I made from an English (I think) needlecraft magazine. I think it was called 'Garden Path' or something along those lines. The 'center' path is plain beige fabric. It was made for Judith. The middle one is my own adaption of the technique (bargello) and goes from dark blue in one corner to pale blue in the other. (colourwash bargello, but I didn't know this then) It is Dawn's. The yellow border one is another variation I came up with, still without knowing what technique I was using or what it was called. This one was for Maureen.
I delivered them all personally and warned them that I would want them back in a few months as I had been persuaded to enter them in the crafts section of the Royal Bathurst Agricultural Show. When I did get them back, Judith had washed (& ironed???!!!) hers, but the others were like brand new. The blue one, Dawn's got First, the yellow got Second and the judge told me later that the pink one was not judged because it had been washed otherwise I would have taken out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I was chuffed. I really didn't expect to get any placing as these were some of my very first efforts at any type of quilting. I had just happened upon something that looked very complicated, that caught everyone's eye.
Sorry the photo isn't so good. I intend to assemble them all again and get a better snap one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment